Link Development in 2006

Links make the web go round.


Friday, February 17, 2006

Site Promotion & Forums

A little over a month ago, I started a new website. For the first month, I promoted the site in forums only. Here are the traffic results over the period of its first month:

Jan 12th - 45 pageviews/day - Release day
Jan 25th - 136 pageviews/day - Some self promotion in forums
Feb 2nd - 1,214 pageviews/day - Main page appears in Google results
Feb 12th - 10,136 pageviews/day - About 40 more pages appear in Google results

Instead of the "old forum promotion method" of joining a billion forum sites and making one post with your link on it never to return, I participating in only 2 forums relevant to the site's topic. I kept a link to my site in my signature, yes, but that is not the whole story. I strived to make high quality posts whenever possible. I used material from my site on the forums where appropriate. I did not just make new posts, copy and paste an article into it, and say "Hey doods, visit my site!" I did my best to become a contributing member of the community.

The expiriment payed off: all of a sudden, my logs were filled with one-way incoming links from places I had never even heard of. People were taking the information I had posted on the forums and were sticking it in their blogs, other forums, and even some websites.

Were there a lot of sites that just copied and pasted my information with out giving me a link? I'm sure there were tons, but what is important is the sites that did link back to me and the effect they had on my Google rankings.

So, to sum it all up: Quantity is not better than quality, because quality breeds quantity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home